A well-protected home is a homeowner’s top priority, and addressing issues promptly is crucial to prevent damage to your property. In previous posts, here and here, we talked about some other common flashing problems and repairs.
In this blog post, we have something a little different for you! We’ll delve into a recent case where a homeowner faced water intrusion in their bathroom during heavy rains. They discovered that the exterior wall was the source of the problem, and the solution lay in the installation of kick-out flashing. We will explore the reasons behind the water infiltration, how an infrared scan helped pinpoint the issue, and the transformative effect of adding kick out flashing, which ensured a permanently dry and secure living space.
- The Homeowner’s Water Infiltration Problem: The customer experienced a recurring issue during heavy rains, with water running down the drywall in their bathroom, specifically on the exterior wall. This situation was not only a source of annoyance but also raised concerns about potential structural damage and mold growth.
- Identifying the Source of the Problem: To tackle the problem effectively, a comprehensive approach was taken. An infrared scan was conducted to locate the source of the water infiltration. The results of the scan indicated that there was no kick out flashing, a critical component missing from the initial construction of the house. Kick out flashing is designed to divert water coming down the shingles into the gutter, preventing it from touching the stucco, especially during heavy downpours.
- The Role of Kick Out Flashing: Kick out flashing is a simple yet effective solution that directs rainwater away from the wall, thus avoiding any potential leaks or water damage. It plays a crucial role in maintaining the integrity of the structure and preventing water intrusion during heavy rainfall.
- A Permanent Solution: To resolve the issue and prevent further water infiltration, kick out flashing was installed on the exterior wall. The results were transformative, as the customer confirmed that after the next heavy rain, their bathroom never leaked again. This simple addition of kick out flashing had a significant impact on the home’s protection and the homeowner’s peace of mind.
The case we’ve discussed underscores the importance of addressing water infiltration promptly to protect your home. In this instance, the absence of kick out flashing allowed water to run down the drywall during heavy rains. However, with the installation of kick out flashing, the homeowner could enjoy a permanently dry and secure living space. This case serves as a reminder of the effectiveness of simple solutions like kick out flashing in safeguarding your home from potential water damage, mold growth, and structural issues. It also emphasizes the importance of regular inspections to identify and address such issues before they escalate. Investing in proper materials and workmanship ensures a home that can withstand the elements and provide you with peace of mind.
- Kick Out Flashing: A Simple Solution for a Water-Free Home - November 29, 2023
- The Importance of Proper Siding Installation: Keeping Your Home Water-Tight - November 15, 2023
- Proper Vent Pipe Flashing: The Key to a Leak-Free Roof - October 31, 2023