A well-maintained roof is crucial for protecting your home from the elements, and skylights can be a beautiful addition that adds natural light to your living space. However, skylights are also prone to leaks if not properly installed or repaired.
In a previous post, we discussed how improper flashing installation can cause hard-to-find leaks. In this blog post, we will discuss a common issue many homeowners face when it comes to roof repairs and how the use of low-grade materials can result in short-lived fixes. We’ll take a closer look at a recent case where a customer had their skylight repaired, only to have it leak again after a few months. We’ll explore the reasons behind the failure and discuss the solution that ensures a permanent repair, leaving the customer with peace of mind and a leak-free home.
- The Problematic Repair: In the case we’re examining, the customer had previously hired a roofer to fix a skylight leak. However, the solution was short-lived, lasting only a few months. Upon closer evaluation, it was evident that the roofer had used low-grade tar to seal the skylight. The absence of mesh in the repair compounded the issue, as the tar dried out and cracked under the sun’s exposure.
- The Consequences of Low-Quality Materials: The use of low-grade tar and the absence of mesh can lead to a myriad of problems. Low-quality tar dries out quickly, making it unsuitable for long-term repairs. Without mesh reinforcement, the seal is less durable, making it susceptible to cracking and leaks, especially in areas exposed to sunlight and temperature fluctuations.
- A Permanent Solution: To rectify the situation, a more robust and lasting solution was needed. The solution employed rubber-embedded tar and mesh. The rubber infusion added durability to the tar, preventing it from drying out and cracking. The addition of mesh further reinforced the seal, ensuring it could withstand the elements and temperature variations.
- The Customer’s Peace of Mind: With the new repair in place, the customer could finally breathe easy, knowing that their skylight would no longer be a source of leaks and water damage. The use of high-quality materials and a well-thought-out approach to the repair guaranteed long-lasting results, saving the homeowner time, money, and the headache of dealing with recurrent leaks.
Roof repairs are a necessary part of homeownership, and it’s essential to address issues promptly to prevent more extensive damage to your property.
The case we’ve discussed highlights the critical importance of using quality materials and methods in roof repairs, especially when it comes to skylights.
In this instance, the customer’s previous roofer had used low-grade tar and omitted mesh, resulting in a temporary fix. However, the application of rubber-embedded tar and mesh by a professional roofer ensured a permanent solution, granting the homeowner peace of mind and a leak-free living space.
When dealing with roof repairs, it’s clear that investing in quality materials and workmanship is the key to a lasting and dependable outcome.
- Kick Out Flashing: A Simple Solution for a Water-Free Home - November 29, 2023
- The Importance of Proper Siding Installation: Keeping Your Home Water-Tight - November 15, 2023
- Proper Vent Pipe Flashing: The Key to a Leak-Free Roof - October 31, 2023